(Rare HD) Beijing, Shanghai in 90's

 

My first trip to China was in 1996 with my high school geography class from Canada. This was the Beijing I remember! But what I don't see in the video are the thousands of smoky little yellow Shijiazuang vans and Volkswagen taxis. And the constant car horns day and night have been replaced by pleasant music.

 

In this video, I notice several foreign companies, including Basin Rabins (US), LG, Samsung (South Korea), and Panasonic (Japan), among others. During the 1980s to 2000s, China's economy thrived as it imported advanced culture and technology from abroad. However, now it is pushing out foreign capital and shutting its doors, which is causing its economy to crumble. Once-bustling Wangfujing in the heart of Beijing now stands nearly empty. 



Comments

Popular Posts